Re: tlug: palmtop PHS , PIAFS, Alpha-32

> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 22:09:52 +0900 (JST)
> From: "J. David Beutel" <jdb@example.com>
> Subject: Re: tlug: palmtop PHS (was PalmPilot)
>
> This sounds very cool.  I'm interested in getting a palmtop,
> probably around February.  But, I want one with a PHS modem.
> Is there one for the Pilot?
>
> Specifically, I'd prefer a built-in modem with voice phone
> capabilities, as opposed to an adapter to a separate PHS phone,
> so I'd only have 1 device to carry.  High-speed (all digital)
> connection is preferable--I've heard the term PIAFS, but
> could someone refer me to some details (e.g., do I subscribe
> to a PHS company, or do ISPs offer PIAFS like they do ISDN)?

There are two competing standards for PHS communications, PIAFS and
Alpha-32. Different PHS companies support different standards, with DDI
being a champion of Alpha-32.  Both types support 32 Kbps communications,
and whichever one you choose will require subscribing to an ISP,
independently of the PHS company you choose.  You just have to choose an
ISP that supports the standard you settle on.

At the ISP I work for, we support Alpha-32.  The simple reason why we chose
it is that PIAFS requires additional (and expensive) hardware to run it.
Alpha-32, on the other hand, is ISDN-compatible.  A person using an
Alpha-32 PHS can just call any of our ISDN access points and get a 32 Kbps
connection.  I don't have any data on which standard is more popular, but I
think the no-extra-cost nature of Alpha-32 would probably make it more
attractive to most ISPs.  Does anyone else have any information on this?

I don't know if any Palm Pilots or other PDA devices include built-in
hardware support for either PIAFS or Alpha-32.  With notebook computers, an
Alpha-32 PC-card is inserted and connected to the PHS.

Jonathan

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out