Re: tlug: palmtop PHS (was PalmPilot)

On Tue, Dec 02, 1997 at 10:09:52PM +0900, J. David Beutel wrote:
> Could the Pilot (or some other palmtop) make a viable terminal
> to a Unix machine?  Craig mentioned running Pine on it.

While it can be done, I think whether or not is "viable" depends on your
pain threshold and/or how desperate you are to connect.  I've used both
telnet and terminal emulation from my pilot, but was frustrated by both the
screen size (when so many things expect to have at least 80x25, they can
seem rather wasteful of display real estate on a Pilot) and no keyboard
(which can be mitigated with some well-chosen shortcuts/macros, but still
tricky for key combinations).  But it is a small package when you need
a serial terminal somewhere for some configuration.

I find it more practical to use applications that are "tuned" for the
Pilot, and have them interact with the real world (like the ToDo list,
or mail/TGPostman)
--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   7j1ajh@example.com
Tokyo PC Users Group Meeting, Thur 04Dec  http://www.tpc.ml.org/

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: