Re: tlug: Red Hat vs. Debian

OK, since I've been called the "RedHat Guy" on several occassions, and
I'm probaly one of the newer Linux Users I'll give my two cents.

If you're looking for a system which allows ease of installation, ease
in taking out packages, and provides several "control-panels" to help
you configure the system, then RedHat is the right place.  I have had
some problems here and there, but overall it fits the bill.  I'm not
trying to tweak the kernel, or make big changes, I need a stable UNIX
platform that I can program on.  I've found it, for the most part
trouble free.  You will, on occassion, run into problems with
dependencies, and no posted change on the net.  I've had this happen
once, however, other times the rpm upgrade was on the ftp site.

I started with Slackware, and in a lot of ways I kinda liked it.  But I
spent the majority of my time configuring everything, and when I wanted
to upgrade....sorry reload the entire system.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Blaine

--
Alan B. Stone