tlug: ATT Worldnet PPP connection

    Jonathan> I've been following the posts here about PPP connections
    Jonathan> and ATT WorldNet under Linux and have put in the perl
    Jonathan> script that was recenty posted here, as well as putting
    Jonathan> in my userid and password in chap-secrets and
    Jonathan> pap-secrets, but I still cannot make a succesful
    Jonathan> connection.

    Jonathan> My setup is an NEC Aterm IT55 DSU terminal adapter on
    Jonathan> COM 2 with Pacific Hi-tech's new Turbo Linux 1.0
    Jonathan> distribution.  When I run the script, it dials but fails
    Jonathan> after about 10 seconds (or less).  Once this has
    Jonathan> happened,

The "after that" is either a script bug (not reinitializing the
adaptor) or Ministry of Post and Telecoms F**KAGE.  MPT has put a
requirement in that you only be allowed to redial after 3 minutes or
some such nonsense.  (No, I didn't read the regs, but if I tell my
3Com 3C563 that it's it Germany, it allows me to redial immediately.
That's good enough evidence for me to blame MPT, they're just pissed
off at the world that Hashimoto wants to take yuucho away from them.
Which will go about 15% of the way to fixing what's wrong with
Japanese banks.  The 3C563 does at least 25 countries, of the 10 I
tested only Japan had the 3 minutes delay between redials.)  Ifthe
NEC is not Japan-only, try telling it it's somewhere else.

While I was fiddling with scripts I told my 3Com it was in Germany,
once I got my callback system working I stopped lying to it.

The initial lossage is probably due to the fact that many providers do
things differently with ISDN (that is an ISDN TA, right?)

Check back numbers of TLUG.

HTH

Steve
TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: