debian [was Re: tlug: Problems with Motif 2.0 and XFree86-3.3.1]

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Switch to Debian ;-)  That won't solve your Motif problems, but at
> least I won't hear about your RedHat package problems :-)

Debian is pretty good.  I've used Slackware, Red Hat, JE, and
Debian.  I've had very little package dependency problems on Debian.
I still don't like dselect, but dpgk works for me.

I looked at both Project Japanese RPM and Project Japanese Extensions
again.  I don't think they have solved the dependency problems
for Red Hat.

Project Debian-JP seems to be the furthest along at this point.
I haven't had any problems integrating bits and pieces of the
Japanese distribution with the standard Debian.  The main
challenges I face are related to upgrading to the newer libraries.

Debian also has a very cool social contract.

On the side of Red Hat distributions, a recent issue of LJ
says that it is by far the most popular CD-ROM distribution.

----------

On a different subject, I'm having problems with the definition of
my terminfo settings for kterm.  I just upgraded to the newer
ncurses and now I have to do an EXPORT TERM=vt102 to get
kterm to function properly.  ncurses3.4 did not come with
a kterm definition and the definition that came with the source for 6.2
is causes some minor screen glitches.

-- Craig

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: