Re:  Red Hat 5.0 for SPARC *not* available

From: Erik Troan <ewt@example.com>
--/snip/--
   If it was this easy, we wouldn't be discontinuing work. The real
   problems are:
       1) The 2.0.x kernel doesn't seem to be being maintained
          for the SPARC, and the 2.1.x kernel isn't stable.
       2) glibc 2.0.x has never been ported to the sparc. glibc 2.1.x
          almost works, and I don't mind working on that bit myself.
          However, glibc 2.1.x requires symbol versioning.
       3) binutils has some linker bugs which seem SPARC specific. They
          break symbol versioning in particulr (see point 2).

From: Stephen Smoogen <smooge@example.com>
--/snip/--
The reason that we cant get a 5.0 Sparc out the door at the moment is due
to the fact that glibc support is sorely lacking for that platform. What
is needed is for a lot of people to hack at binutils and possibly glibc to
get it so that packages can compile/run with the glibc2.x library set.

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: