tlug: ADMIN

Hi,
since we have gotten quite a few new members recently, I would
like to remind everyone that the TLUG mailing list is available in
digest format. The digest is published once a day or when a maximum
number of characters has been reached.  To subscribe to the digest,
send e-mail to

  majordomo@example.com

and include

  subscribe tlug-digest
  end

in the body of the message.

To unsubscribe to the tlug mailing list,

  unsubscribe tlug
  end

Both the digest and the mailing list are archived since the
beginning of the lists.  Send e-mail to majordomo@example.com
and include

  help
  end

in the body of the message to get information on the commands available.

---------------------

Raffle
******
I have received an inquiry about purchasing raffle tickets without
attending the meeting.  I would like to get comments.  Also, should
one person be allowed to purchase more than one ticket?

---------------------

Committees and Projects
***********************
The last bit of administrative detail is that I would like to
bring up the topic of the creation of committees and projects.

I think that the committee leader should have a voting position
on things like allocation of group finances, creation of policy
on stuff like stance on copyrights.

The idea I have at the moment is to allocate 15 minutes of the
Dec. 13th meeting to let members join a committee.  For
example, we might have a nomikai in January and the members
might want to give some input to the person organizing the
nomikai.  I imagine that the committee meetings should be
held concurrently, be brief, get volunteers, and handle planning
by e-mail if necessary.   I've nominated a few people for
some committees.  Feel free to discuss this process, the
idea of creating committees in general, and anything else
right on this list.

We should also allocate some time to soliciting volunteers for
projects.  The projects are short term and may or may not
be partially financed by TLUG.  At this moment, TLUG has
almost no finances.  :-)

       TLUG T-Shirt Project
       Japanese support on Linux Book Project

TLUG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE PROPOSAL
*********************************

group president
---------------
Craig Oda (elected Oct. 11, 1997 for 1 year term)
Responsibilites: Coordinating direction of TLUG, communicating
   direction to members.  Coordinate public relations efforts to
   obtain new members and establish industry relationships.
   Supervision of finances.  Record minutes of meetings
   and coordinate dissemination to membership.

Technical Direction and Meeting Administrator Committee
Responsibilites: Consolidate opinion of membership to define
   topics and goals for meetings.  Facilitate the flow of meetings
   to achieve membership goals.  Coordinate volunteers either from
   membership or from the outside to either speak at the meetings
   or lead a discussion at a meeting.  Have a heck of a lot of fun.
(my nomination: John Little and Joe Marchak for joint chair)

Logistics Committee
-------------------
Responsibilities: Encourage membership to attend meetings.
   Inform membership of time and place for meetings.  Consolidate
   membership opinion on appropriate meeting times and places.
   (informally set for 2nd Thursday evening every other month
   and 2nd Saturday every other month)  Ensure that members have
   a place such as a room at Joe Marchak's office or a restaurant
   to meet in and make necessary reservations.  Have fun.
(my nomination: Demian L. Martos-Riano)

Electronic Information Management Committee
Responsibilites:  1) Keep membership informed of TLUG events
   through passive electronic means such as a web page.
   2) Disseminate information about TLUG to the outside world
   through passive electronic means such as a web page.
   Consolidate opinion of membership on
   desired information for web page.  Coordinate acquisition
   of information and creation of content for web page.
   Research and implement new methods to use electronic
   communication methods to disseminate information to
   both TLUG members and the outside world.  Have fun.
(my nomination: Jim Schweizer)

Japan Community Relations Committee
-----------------------------------
Responsibilities: Establish and cultivate relations between
TLUG and other groups in Japan.  Work with the rest of
the group to establish joint meetings or projects.
(my nomination: Ken Harada)

It is also recommended that each executive committee member
have equal voting status on matters such as TLUG direction
and use of group finances.  It is intended for executive
committee meetings and voting to be done by e-mail.  Efforts
will be made to keep the amount of time required to a minimum.

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: