Re: tlug: Japanese input systems

    Craig> inside of the kterm on my Linux box.  The -L flag specifies
    Craig> 8-bit output.  I wonder if telnet uses 8-bit for input by
    Craig> default?  How else could the EUC characters get from
    Craig> kinput2 safely to mule on the remote system?

Probably.  It's reasonably safe for telnet to default to 8-bit input,
since the telnet protocol will determine the capabilities of the
remote telnet server.  OTOH, a dumb local terminal could get seriously
wedged by 8-bit output.

    Craig> Here is what I thought about XIM, correct me if needed.
    Craig> XIM was standardized in X11R6, which became available for
    Craig> Linux around late 1994 or 1995.

Good enough.

    Craig> than in X11R5.  Now, I remember that we had a discussion
    Craig> about XIM with XEmacs 20.0 and you did a modification to
    Craig> allow its use.  Does this mean that XIM is still not that
    Craig> widely used and that things like kinput2 are still used?

In the commercial world, especially with Motif, XIM seems to be
widespread.  (Hmm.  I wonder about Netscrap....)  It's not
well-implemented by any free widget set yet.  GTK (GNOME, the Gimp)
has recently been patched to provide support, but this has to be
considered extremely alpha, and is quite restricted.  Other than those
two toolkits, AFAIK you must use direct Xlib calls.

    Craig> Also, in X11R5, weren't Xsi and Ximp used and kind of
    Craig> replaced by XIM in the X11R6 standard?

XIM is the successor to Xsi.  Ximp has been abandoned, after
contributing a couple of features to the standard.  (Strictly
speaking, Xsi and Ximp were two experimental implementations of the
draft XIM standard.)

    Craig> So, XIM protocol is kind of an X standard way to do it and
    Craig> maybe kinput protocol was an earlier development that is
    Craig> being obsoleted by XIM protocol?

Yes.
TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: