Re: tlug: Started installing RedHat...

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Demian Martos wrote:

> Still, I cannot mount the latter DOS partition. Suggestions?

If you are using non-SCSI disks, the DOS partions are probably
 /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2.

You can check this with fdisk.  Make sure you don't write your
changes with fdisk or you will erase your entire disk.

 As root, mkdir some top level directories like /dos1 /dos2

These would be actual directories under LInux.

Mount the file systems with

  # mount /dev/hda1 /dos1
  # mount /dev/hda2 /dos2

If this works and you want to mount dos every time you boot Linux,
edit your filesystem table in /etc/fstab.  I can tell you how if
you need this info.

> I have done the installation but not the customization...since I have no
> printed documentation, could someone suggest me the steps I should
> follow to...
>
> 1) connect to Internet as soon as possible. (provider matters
> momentarily solved).

Use pppd.  Things are probably easier now.
I have an _old_ ppp-options file at
http://www.twics.com/~craig/tlug/linux-ppp-options.txt

> 2) start running X-window (the tough part is that the technical matters
> of the computer are in japanese :-)))

This is a broad question.  You need an Xserver running.  Maybe start
with VGA or SVGA, as it will almost certainly work with your linux
box video card.   As root, run  xf86config.  It is usually in
/usr/X11R6/bin/   Not sure how far you've gotten.  Maybe xf86config
is all you need?  Could you give more info on where the problem is?
I think there is an installation HowTo at sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux
in the docs section.

> 3) make an intelligent use of the software that comes in the RedHat
> distribution that John kindly give to me...

Anything in particular?  Do you have the RedHat Package manager up?

Regards,
Craig

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: