Re: tlug: Getting XFree 3.3.1

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Alan B. Stone wrote:

> I'm using a Matrox card, but I had no problems finding a driver since
> I was using RedHat 4.2.  If you felt like you might want to head in
> that direction (RedHat), just mount the ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat
> directory and install the latest.  I had the same problem with
> Slackware 96, but I'm told by friends that the newer Slackware 3.2
> and up do not have this problem.

  Yes, there's some (early) Matrox Millenium support in Slackware
3.2 (which I have on CD).  I presume Slackware 3.3 includes
XFree86 3.3.1 (or at least 3.3), where the Matrox support is much
more complete.

  I just tried a little experiment with the one file (XF86_SVGA.tgz)
that I did download last night from the XFree site.  This contains
the SVGA XServer from 3.3.1 , which is where the Matrox support is.  I
thought I might as well see if it would work on its own with my
existing "antique" X installation (dates from August 1995).  To my
great surprise, this seems to work fine with my existing XFConfig and
old motherboard video circuitry (I've taken out the Matrox Mystique
card for the time being).

  So, if someone could send me their XF86Config for any Matrox card,
I could probably quickly hack up a working version for myself just
by making sure the Monitor and other parameters are within range.

  Thanks for any help you can offer,

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: