Re: tlug: Also Looking for

(John, I'm copying you directly so that you don't have to write
anything in this thread that's already been answered.)

    Tim> I'm a little confused as to where things stand at the moment.
    Tim> The ELC appears to use 72 pins SIMMs. (see below from, THE
    Tim> SUN HARDWARE REFERENCE, compiled by James W. Birdsall).

I don't have the book, just the box, and it's at home and the memory
is inside.  I figured as long as I was looking for the AMI, I'd ask
about the Sparc.

    Tim> Where do the 68pin SIMMs come into the picture - do you need
    Tim> them for the other motherboard

Yes.

    Tim> There are plenty of helpful o-taki in Akihabara.

I'm aware of that.  That doesn't help me at work, unfortunately.

    Tim> The ELC info states '4M or 16M x 33 72-pin', but on the std
    Tim> mem page of McGlen, non parity 72pin mem is listed as being
    Tim> '32' and the parity as being '36'.

    Tim> Does this mean that the ELC has one parity bit across a 32bit
    Tim> word, where most computers have a parity bit for each byte in
    Tim> the 32bit word, ie (8 + 1)*4 = 36 ?

    Tim> AFAIK you can use parity mem (36) in PCs and Macs, which are
    Tim> non parity (32).  The extra parity lines are just ignored.
    Tim> **Maybe** the pin out of the Sun SIMM are similar, hence 3 of
    Tim> the 4 parity bits would be ignored.  Maybe John Little can
    Tim> answer this?

You have this exactly right.  According to private mail I received
from Jim Tittsler.

Steve
TLUG Thursday evening meeting: Nov. 13, 18:40 at Tokyo station
Starbuck's coffee.  Then move to dinner place at 19:00
info: demian@example.com | TLUG Saturday meeting is Dec. 13, 1997
a word from the sponsor: