Re: tlug: Also Looking for

    Totoro> again, while I was in Seattle last summer I tried asking
    Totoro> store clerks if they had any Linux software. Got some
    Totoro> really puzzled looks and funny questions like, "Does it
    Totoro> run in Windows?"

In the US, even if you work for a university, you don't go back to
that store.  I don't have the choice.

    Totoro> I've actually found some Edam hard cheddar here that is
    Totoro> better than any cheese I ate in the states (back when I
    Totoro> lived there, anyhow!). :-)

:-)  Living near Hokkaido has its perks, I guess.

    Totoro> WRT store clerks, you're right there. Most of those jobs
    Totoro> are just low-paying arubaito, so nobody who knows anything
    Totoro> would take them.

That's true in the US, too.  However, you do get college students and
high-school hackers doing that kind of work, especially in the 24-hour
stores (there's a Circuit City in San Jose that was trying 24 hours as
an experiment, I dunno if they're still at it).

And the people I'm dealing with are 30- to 50-year-old sarariman/
gyosha types.  "We do chicken right."  But not computers,
unfortunately.

    >> Really peeved in Tsukuba

    Totoro> Won't the university reimburse you via tate-kae? I use a

Yeah, right.  If they permit that, how are they going to convince
their pet vendors to stock them up on booze at New Year's?

Anyway, it's possible.  Reimbursement is in the infinite by-and-by
though, because the paperwork is "so difficult."  And somehow it
interferes with processing my other orders.  (Not personal experience;
but I've heard that from two sources.)
TLUG Thursday evening meeting: Nov. 13, 18:40 at Tokyo station
Starbuck's coffee.  Then move to dinner place at 19:00
info: demian@example.com | TLUG Saturday meeting is Dec. 13, 1997
a word from the sponsor: