Re: tlug: Also Looking for

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Also Looking for
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:56:05 +0900 (JST)

>     >> I'm looking for SIMMs for old machines, specifically for a
>     >> Sparc ELC and for a 5-year-old AMI motherboard.  I've got part
>     >> numbers, but the
>
>     Hajime> So you're looking for 72pin Fast Page Memory SIMMS with
>     Hajime> parity?  Have you tried any of the major shops in
>     Hajime> Akihabara? They usually have numbers you can call to place
>     Hajime> orders.
>
> No, I can get 72-pin fast-page.  I found one vendor who said, "those
> aren't 72-pin, they're probably 68-pin, but unless you're willing to
> take your server off-line so I can count 'em...".  He then said that

I'm a little confused as to where things stand at the moment.   The ELC
appears to use 72 pins SIMMs. (see below from, THE SUN HARDWARE REFERENCE,
compiled by James W. Birdsall).    Where do the 68pin SIMMs come into the
picture - do you need them for the other motherboard, or was it just a red
herring from the salesman?

> Can you spell "sagi"?

Yup, 詐欺!!

   SPARCstation ELC (4/25)
        Processor(s):   Fujitsu MB86903 or Weitek W8701 @ 33MHz, FPU on
                        CPU chip, Sun-4c MMU, 8 hardware contexts,
                        21 MIPS, 3 MFLOPS, 18.2 SPECint92, 17.9
                        SPECfp92, 432 SPECintRate92, 425 SPECfpRate92
        CPU:            501-1861 (1730?)
        Chassis type:   monitor
        Bus:            none
        Memory:         64M physical; 64K write-through cache,
                        direct-mapped, virtually indexed, virtually
                        tagged, 32-byte lines
        Architecture:   sun4c
        Notes:          Code name "Node Warrior". 4M or 16M x 33 72-pin
                        SIMMs. No fan. 17" mono monitor built in. first
                        supported in SunOS 4.1.1c.

Found in stock at:

http://www.mcglen.com/McGlenWeb/listItemsByModel.asp?MODELID=1066&NAME=SPARCstation+ELC+%284%2F25%29&COMID=49&TYPE=DESKTOP&COM=Sun&MIN=0&MAJ=8

If you can't access the the req page with the above monster URL, go to
http://www.mcglen.com/product/Memory/
Then select 'Proprietary Memory Upgrades' -> 'Desktop', etc....

> Anyway, I need somebody who deals with o-taku, not somebody who knows
> how to kiss accountant butt.

There are plenty of helpful o-taki in Akihabara.  But I understand that it is
not the easy for you to get there and it sometimes does take a little bit of
asking around to find the right shop/person.

Now a qn from me:

The ELC info states '4M or 16M x 33 72-pin', but on the std mem  page of
McGlen, non parity 72pin mem is listed as being '32' and the parity as
being '36'.

Does this mean that the ELC has one parity bit across a 32bit word, where most
computers have a parity bit for each byte in the 32bit word,
ie (8 + 1)*4 = 36 ?

AFAIK you can use parity mem (36) in PCs and Macs, which are non parity (32).
The extra parity lines are just ignored.  **Maybe** the pin out of the Sun
SIMM are similar, hence 3 of the 4 parity bits would be ignored.   Maybe John
Little can answer this?

tim :)
TLUG Thursday evening meeting: Nov. 13, 18:40 at Tokyo station
Starbuck's coffee.  Then move to dinner place at 19:00
info: demian@example.com | TLUG Saturday meeting is Dec. 13, 1997