Re: tlug: Also Looking for

On 12-Nov-97 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>    Hajime> Sometimes they don't really understand what you're talking
>    Hajime> about...
>
>You're far too generous.

Quite the understatement here. One of the locals here took some
3 1/2 weeks to get me a mousepad awhile back. Then again, while I
was in Seattle last summer I tried asking store clerks if they had
any Linux software. Got some really puzzled looks and funny questions
like, "Does it run in Windows?"

>No, sometimes they half-way understand what I'm talking about, the
>rest of the time they have no idea.  Unfortunately it seems that it's
>against the rules for university-qualified suppliers to employ o-taku.
>(God, the two things I miss about the US are cheese and people whose
>work is also their hobby.)  Most of these guys don't seem to know the
>difference between RAM, ROM, and CD-ROM, except as it relates to their
>bottom line.

I've actually found some Edam hard cheddar here that is better than
any cheese I ate in the states (back when I lived there, anyhow!). :-)

WRT store clerks, you're right there. Most of those jobs are just
low-paying arubaito, so nobody who knows anything would take them.

>Really peeved in Tsukuba

Won't the university reimburse you via tate-kae? I use a credit card
often and just show them a copy of the statement, which has the dollar
amount, the rate of exchange and the yen amount, along with the receipt
that came with the product. That way I can buy from anywhere and get
what I need (and a lot faster than any local shops can get anything).

David

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp
TLUG Thursday evening meeting: Nov. 13, 18:40 at Tokyo station
Starbuck's coffee.  Then move to dinner place at 19:00
info: demian@example.com | TLUG Saturday meeting is Dec. 13, 1997
a word from the sponsor: