Re: tlug: Introduction; Looking for Help on i18n

    Alberto> Please forgive my ignorance, but someone could post a
    Alberto> little summary on what is the "i18n issue"?

<RANT>
WaaaauuuggGGGGGH!  Obviously _nobody_ is listening to me!  Have I been
screaming about how backward Pine is to deaf ears?
</RANT>

Ah.  Now I feel better.

"Internationalization"
           111111111 \___i18n, get it?
  123456789012345678 /

"Get the language right, first time, every time."  All the symbols fit
to print can be input and output.  Also some details like inserting
currency symbols, getting the collation sequence right ("chica" comes
after "cucaracha" in Spanish), date formats.

"Internationalization (level 2)" means to program in such a way that
these issues are handled at run-time by calling library functions
which access a "locale" database (in the ANSI/POSIX model).
"Internationalization (level 3)" means that error messages and the
like are also localized and looked up in a catalog.  I don't remember
what internationalization level 4 means.
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: