tlug: Afterstep and colors

In case someone may have had the same problem, I'll let you know how
I solved the afterstep color problem.

It does seem that afterstep is hogging all of my colors.  Mostly in
the icons it seems, since when I don't start the Wharf, I don't have
any problems.  (But I really like the afterstep clock, so I want the
wharf)

Anyway, I was running in 8 bpp mode and just making sure I start in
16 bpp mode gave me enough colors so afterstep and even netscape is happy.

You can start in 16bpp mode either by give a command line option to
startx as

startx -- -bbp16

Or you if you are using xdm, you can change your XFConfig and add
the following line

DefaultColorDepth 16

You should add this in the place where you define the screen like
follows:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "Matrox Mystique"
    Monitor     "Vivitron"
    DefaultColorDepth 16             <-------  This gives afterstep tons of
    Subsection "Display"                       colors to play with.
        Depth       8
        etc, etc

Of course depending on your video card, you may not be able to run
as big (in terms of the number of pixels) as before.

Anyway, it turned out to be simple, but I have very little experience with
X itself, so I had no idea when I first started.

Also, someone suggested that I used a set of icons that only use 21 colors.
I have a feeling that this will work also, but I was never able to find
those icons.

Anyway, this was just in case someone else may be having a similar problem.

Your mileage may very.

Rob

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: