Re: tlug: <Q> Tape Drive

>>In article <199710310614.PAA04021@example.com>, gaijin@example.com (John Little) writes:

> %
> % I am using Red Hat 4.2 as a file server and planning
> % to incorporate a tape drive for back-up use. And
> % I have browsed the supported tape drives but I am quite
> % confused. I am wondering which tape drive is reliably
> % use by the linux community.
> %

> Navye,

>    I use a 1/4" QIC SCSI drive (525MB capacity) for my machines at
>    home, but I have used an 8mm 5GB drive on a SPARC Linux machine
>    in the office, too.

>    What is your primary concern, daily backup of large amounts of
>    data, ease of recovery, speed of backup? It might even be worth
>    looking into writeable CDs as a backup medium,rather than tape.

I've had good luck with a Seagate "STT8000 Internal SCSI Minicartridge
Drive".  I use the cheaper (not cheap!) 2GB for dailies and the 4GB
for weeklies.  My funky old 486 does a full 2GB backup in a couple of
hours, using afio and with a full verify pass.  I have restored
several files, and it is fast enough that I use it to restore dinky
files rather than piss around trying to recreate them.  I think the
drive was about $300 from insight, but maybe $400.

      Felix Finch, scarecrow repairer, rocket surgeon / felix@example.com
            PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: