Re: tlug: Admin: TLUG Bank Account Number

    Craig> Anyway, I don't think any TLUG members should attempt a
    Craig> transfer until we figure out the cheapest and easiest way
    Craig> to do it.

Give cash to Craig, and let him walk to the bank.

    Craig> Since I was hoping for small amounts like 500 yen or
    Craig> something, the transfer fees seem extraordinarily high.

If'n'when there a reason to donate, I was planning on going the
1-man-en "life membership" route anyway.  :-)

In context they're a little high, but not extraordinarily so.  They're
comparable to the fees you pay to do transfers by online banking in
the U.S. (as of 2 years ago).  You should also remember that in the
U.S. these days, if you actually bounce a check, you are likely to be
liable for $50 or more, as the recipient, recipient's bank, and your
own bank are all likely to load on $20 or more each in charges.

I do think that the sensible thing for gaijin accounts would be to set
all ATM usage charges to 0 (it's much cheaper for the bank than teller
service).  But Japanese are so used to paying through the nose for
every little thing, that it doesn't bother them.  When I told my wife
that I was too busy to actually go to the bank of our parking lot to
pay 3500 yen[1] to deposit it directly, she grumbled about the 5
minute walk but happily paid the 360 yen fee to furikomi from our
bank.  And this is the woman that I would trust to visit my
sister-in-law's 15-square-meter walk-in closet without getting ideas
about her own o-koudzukai....

Footnotes:
[1]  Living in Tsukuba definitely has its advantages.

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: