Re: tlug: Admin: TLUG Bank Account Number

From: Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Admin: TLUG Bank Account Number
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:57:24 +0900 (JST)

> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, A.Tomita,Jr. wrote:
>
> Alberto>And regarding the account, when doing a transfer I think you have to
> Alberto>specify if it's to a normal savings account 普通貯金 of if it's to a
> Alberto>checking account 当座貯金.
>
> The bank book says that its a nice account.  It's not
> a checking account, though it does come with a cash
> card.   I went down to the
> bank this morning to watch my wife do a transfer.  You can
> transfer to a standard account using the ATM, but she
> said it costs something like 400 yen per transfer.  Wow!
> I thought that was outrageous.  There has to be a cheap
> simple way to do this.

If you transfer from the same bank, then it is usually cheaper.
That is from a Sumitomo branch to a Sumitomo branch.  If you are actually
in the same branch as the account, then sometimes (maybe always) it is
free.  I know Tokyo-Mitsubishi and Citibank are this way.

Anyway, if you plan to rely on transfering money, it will be an inconvenience
to at least some people.  That you can count on.  There will always be an
outrageous charge if the bank is not the same and that means that once
you have picked one bank, then you will inconvenience those who do not
bank at that same bank.  I think it is best to avoid money transfer if
at all possible.  This is an unfortunately side effect of not having
checks as a general means for transfering money, but one that we just
have to deal with.

Rob
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)