Re: tlug: Re: video capture

On Wed, Oct 29, 1997 at 01:12:54PM +0900, Jason Molenda wrote:

> A lot of the press releases I've seen (I must admit that I don't pay
> close attention to these) make it sound like they only grab an image at
> a time.  It doesn't sound like you could say 'gimmie that 10 minutes of
> video' and come back and hour later to find all your disk space full.  :-)

I saw some neat demonstrations at this summer's 1394 conference.  They
can do it, but you need a lot of storage bandwidth.  (I've also heard
that some European countries are legislating limits on the digital stream
from the cameras... so be careful buying one in Germany, say.)

Miro talked about their system (based on a host adapter using the TI
chips) at a recent Tokyo PC Users Group meeting.  Canon and Epson are
using the Adaptec solution.

http://www.miro.com/e/e2-products/e24-digitalvideo/vdv100.html
http://www.adaptec.com/serialio/
http://www.dtinet.or.jp/~tpc/

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: