Re: tlug: RH4.2 "Errata" RPMs

On Sun, Oct 12, 1997 at 10:17:02PM +0900, Paul Z. Cipywnyk wrote:
> Not really understanding what I might *really* need, I downloaded all of
> the "errata" RPMs (except for the newer kernel, which RH said to avoid
[...]
> as I haven't quite got my Linux box on the 'Net yet.... Gomen....

When you do get your Linux box talking to the net, you can get RPM to
download and install in one swell foop if you do something like
rpm -Uvh ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/current/updates/i386/goop.i386.rpm
which can be handy if you happen to know a particular RPM you need to update
and you can just cut and paste the name into the right place.

> manual came to my rescue. It didn't answer these questions for me as to how
> to do it from the command line, but the directions for using the Package
> Management tool (Glint?) under X Windows were clear.

I'm a command line guy myself.  'rpm --help' provides some hints, and
'man rpm' will provide more.  The RedHat site and http://www.rpm.org/
can provide tedious details.

> All the RPMs were there, and I simply kept clicking on them and then
> clicking the "Upgrade" button. Worked like a charm... all except for the
> "db-1.85-11.i386.rpm" file.

As Alberto already told you, you may *have* to do that one from the command
line.  Typically, root can simply go to the directory containing the RPM,
and do
  rpm -Uvh rpmname.rpm
Where 'U' means upgrade, 'v' means be a little verbose about it, and
'h' means show me a progress indicator to keep me from getting bored.
If it fails, *judicious* use of the --force or --nodeps options can
get serious about installing/upgrading if you are feeling lucky.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  http://www.dskk.co.jp/~jwt/
                 Tokyo PC Users Group  http://www.tpc.ml.org/

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)