Re: tlug: forwarded message from Hajime Saitou

On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> hamm is, yes, but when did X start running with libc6?  when I
> checked, oh, about 2 months ago, you needed the libc5-compatiblity
> package for many many programs still, in particular X.

We've been providing glibc XFree86 binaries since 3.3.  This has caused no
end of trouble (the docs clearly state that "these binaries need glibc-2.0
or better.  If you don't know what that is, these binaries are not for
you."  Unfortunately, users never read docs).

> I don't consider it glibc's fault, it's H. Lu's fault for keeping
> linux in the dark ages of hand-patched voodoo system libs for so long,
> but the fact is that most linux system software is comfortable with
> Lu-sy libc, and some of it depends on it.

Agreed.  If someone could convince Lu to stop making releases of libc5,
perhaps the transition would occur a tad faster.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)