tlug: forwarded message from Hajime Saitou

Somebody asked about Japanese in Gnus; I don't know if this will
help.  I've got the rest of the thread if you want it, but it's mostly
about corruption of the newsrc, and I don't think you got far enough
to worry about it :-)

---- Begin included message ----

> By the way, can you read articles in Japanese w/ this setting?

Your right. Thanks for the tip.

gnus-test.el is ----------------------------------------

(set-file-coding-system-for-read 'japanese-euc)
(if (featurep 'mule) (set-language-environment 'japanese))
(load "mime-setup")
(setq gnus-nntp-server "t-server.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp")
(gnus)

But no improvement. I'd been hoping that there would be a magic
s-expression that would make the problem go away but this doesn't seem
to be the case.

(if (featurep 'mule) (set-language-environment 'japanese))

Is certainly the one that is linked to the culprit as I don't have the
problem when this line is commented out. However as I normally read
english newsgroups there isn't that much problem...

I'll start with a bare bones version and report back if there is any
difference.

> I have a similar problem with my ".bbdb" file, whenever some
> (non-ascii) iso-latin or Japanese gets into my file.

Do you if you get both ISO and EUC mixed or one or the other?

Thank you for your input. Especially Furutaka-san Petersen-san.

Hajime Saito
---- End included message ----