tlug: Continuing SCSI drive misbehaviour

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
  Hi all,

  Thanks to Craig Oda and Craig Olinsky for their helpful thoughts on the
problem I mentioned yesterday.  It didn't actually help all that much,
but it sure is nice to have the support.

  I have been down in Kumamoto overnight and haven't had time to play with
this much more.  This is where the problem stands at present (so I think
it's not a cabling problem):

  When I boot up my usual lignux 2.0.30 + sound + SCSI, the SCSI card
reports seeing the  new hard drive:

Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel:   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL_TM1280S  Rev: 300X
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02

but doesn't really "detect" it and so /dev/sda is not available. It
does correctly make the SCSI CDROM  device available, as it did before.

  If I boot up the basic Slackware 3.1 kernel 2.0.0 (with SCSI support)
everything works fine, and /dev/sda is available (as well as the SCSI CD
drive).  Doesn't matter whether I boot this from floppy or my IDE hard
drive,  it works every time.

  Thought I might just start adding things to the kernel that works
until it breaks and then try and figure out why it breaks. I won't get
back to this now till Monday, but any other inspirations would be most
welcome.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997