Re: tlug: samba install help

tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>
Masahiro Otsuka <col@example.com> asked:
>I've been trying to compile samba(samba-1.9.17p2) on
>RedHat4.2(kernel2.0.30). Edited a few line in Makefile, including
>japanese file name support. But I get the following error message.

>> [root@example.com source]# make
>> Using CFLAGS = -O [...]
[...]
>> [...] -DWORKGROUP="m&t" [...]
[...]
>> Compiling server.c
>> /bin/sh: t": command not found
>> make: *** [server.o] Error 127
>> [root@example.com source]# gcc: No input files

I'm pretty much certain that you might want to escape the "&"
in -DWORKGROUP="m&t" - otherwise make gets to see it
and interprets it as "background everything before it and
treat everything after it as a new command". Kinda "smart",
I agree :-)

HTH,
Thomas

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997