Re: tlug: SCSI drive problem

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

denismcm>  Ok, fine.  The weird thing is that when I boot from the Slackware 3.1
denismcm>install floppy, everything goes fine, and the scsi hard disk is reported as
denismcm>detected at /dev/sda.  What???!!@@!!???

Maybe the Linux kernel on the floppy does automatic kernel
module loading of the Buslogic driver and the kernel on your
hard disk is not compiled with this in?  Or, maybe the kernel
on the floppy has a whole bunch of drivers compiled into it?
Just a thought.

denismcm>/dev/sda1 partition.  When it came time to make the boot floppy, the
denismcm>floppy drive couldn't be accessed.  The error message goes by so fast in
denismcm>the background, I couldn't be sure what it says, but the floppy is
denismcm>inaccessible and DMA seems to be mentioned.

Is the floppy conflicting with another device such as an ethernet
plugged into an ISA slot or something?  Can you switch the
IRQ and IO address on some other periph?

denismcm>  Weirder and weirder.  I suspect this Mickey Mouse 95-vintage AST Bravo
denismcm>PC (Bravo, indeed) has a wonkey PCI and/or DMA controller, but I'm over
denismcm>my head here and not about to rush and buy another PC.

There were some optional patches to the kernel for different
chipsets.  Maybe your chipset is one of the one that requires
the patch to the kernel?

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997