tlug: SCSI drive problem

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
  Listen I don't think this is actually Lignux-specific really, but
that's the only OS I use, so here I am with my problem:

  I've just connected a SCSI hard drive to the 2940W card I have.
When I boot, the SCSI firmware reports the name, etc. of the hard
drive, but doesn't seem to completely detect it:

Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: aic7xxx: Resetting the SCSI bus...done.
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 4.0/3.2/4.0
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Oct  7 16:41:29 tangrending mountd[59]: Eek: user nobody has uid -1. Using -2 instead.
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel:   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL_TM1280S  Rev: 300X
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: scsi0: Target 6, channel A, refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8 bit transfers.
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: scsi0: Target 6, channel A, now synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset 15.
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel:   Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-ROM CR-506     Rev: 8S05
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
Oct  7 16:41:27 tangrending kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom total.

  So, you can see it finds the drive,but just won't 'recognize' it.

  Ok, fine.  The weird thing is that when I boot from the Slackware 3.1
install floppy, everything goes fine, and the scsi hard disk is reported as
detected at /dev/sda.  What???!!@@!!???

  I formatted and installed Slackware 3.1 for the hell of it on the
/dev/sda1 partition.  When it came time to make the boot floppy, the
floppy drive couldn't be accessed.  The error message goes by so fast in
the background, I couldn't be sure what it says, but the floppy is
inaccessible and DMA seems to be mentioned.

  Weirder and weirder.  I suspect this Mickey Mouse 95-vintage AST Bravo
PC (Bravo, indeed) has a wonkey PCI and/or DMA controller, but I'm over
my head here and not about to rush and buy another PC.

  Any helpful thoughts out there?  I could sure use some.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997