tlug: greetings

tlug note from "John G. Baniewicz" <john.baniewicz@example.com>
I signed up to the list several days ago and figured that its about time
for me to introduce myself--I wouldn't want to stay a lurker too long.
I'm a new user of Linux (and Unix, for that matter) and have begun the
process of adopting it as my operating system of choice on my PC at the
behest of a good friend of mine.  Reared on a Mac, I have to say that
although the transition has not been lacking in frustration, it has been
rewarding.  I'm learning more about computers, operating systems,
applications, etc. than I ever thought that I would.

I'm a doctoral student in Buddhist Studies interested in development of
Japanese Buddhism(s) primarily between the Nara and Kamakura periods.  (I
haven't decided on a dissertation topic as of yet so I'm more than willing
to consider any suggestions.)  I moved to Japan in 1986 right after
graduating from college in order to take up a position (marketing) at
Ricoh in Aoyama.  I did not know Japanese, and knew only very little about
Japan. With time this changed, and I left Ricoh in 1988 to
study the Japanese language.  It was at about this time that I
got interested in the academic study of Japanese Buddhism.

Considering my area of study, it's imperative that I get Japanese up and
running on my box.  To the degree that I have (i.e., kon, kterm, mule are
up), I would like to thank the combined efforts of all the tluggers in
general, and Craig Oda's efforts in putting together "Linux to Nihongo"
specifically.  To the degree that I want to configure my system (i.e.,
setting up dictionaries, establishing printing capabilities, working with
Latex (as if I really knew what it means as of yet!), etc.), I imagine
that I will be looking to you all for further assistance.

As alluded to above, I made great use of "Linux to Nihongo".  I have also
read parts of _Running Linux_ (2d ed.).  If anyone has any suggestions on
good (necessary) reading materials, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'll
really try hard not to trouble the group with inane questions.  And in
order not to overly test everyone's patience, I'll sign off now.

All the best,
John Baniewicz

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997