Re: tlug: Problems with CDROM detection in Caldera Lignux

tlug note from Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com>
On Thu, Oct 02, 1997 at 10:11:00PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
>   CD-Rom... on IRQ15, Port 170, Model 468-021
> The Linux Install diskette (I booted it, but this time I aborted before
> anything was actually installed) detects it like this:-
>   hdd:  CDA468021, ATAPI CDROM drive  ide0 at 0x1f
                                                ^^^^ probably 0x1f0
>   The kennel rebuild went very smoothly (though I chose rather wildly
> between the various options), and I selected ATAPI CD-Rom. And, as you

Which hopefully means he said yes to "Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support"
(and also yes to "ISO9660 filesystem" but that will only be a problem
after detecting the drive :-).  You will also want to exercise caution
if you have an IDE chipset that has only a single FIFO for both of the
interfaces.  In particular say Yes to the CMD640 and RZ1000 configuration
options if you have either or if you aren't sure.

> In the "Initializing block devices" section, it deals with the two hard
> disks and the floppy, but no mention of hdd or cdrom - UNLESS the
> following obscure line
>      ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
> is an attempt to detect it. The IRQ is different, but "ide0" and the
> memory address (or whatever those letters are) look similar to what the

That is the "primary" IDE interface, at ports 0x1F0~1F7 IRQ14, the
"secondary" IDE interface is located at ports 0x170~177 and uses
IRQ15.

(You can include ide?=port,upper_port,irq on the command line (as in
linux ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 ide1=0x170,0x376,15), but since those are
the default values, it shouldn't be required.)

What *may* be required is mentioning the drive location, especially
if you have a non-standard setup (like a CD-ROM set as slave and no
master device on that interface)... try booting your new kernel with
a command line for LILO or loadlin like:
  linux hdd=cdrom

Good luck.
--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  jwt@example.com  http://www.dskk.co.jp/~jwt/

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997