AW: tlug: Debian upgrading

tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>

>tlug note from Totoro <riley@example.com>
>
>I've been experimenting with debian on a spare disk. So far, I've
>been able to get the stable release of 1.3.1 installed.

Welcome to the club ;-)

>However,
>I'm stumped about how to upgrade the whole package to something
>like in the "hamm" directories. Seems like there should be some
>relatively smooth way, but the docs just don't explain it.

This is right now not a smooth upgrade for several reasons:
- hamm is the unstable/development distribution, so you'll be
getting "bleeding edge" packages that may be broken at times.
- hamm uses the new GNU libc ("libc6") while bo uses the
Linux ELF libc ("libc5"). The upgrade from libc5 to libc6 is a
major upgrade and can be tricky.

If you want to upgrade anyways, I recommend that you read
Scott K. Ellis' Libc5 to Libc6 Mini-HOWTO first. You can grab
it at http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/. It's also posted to the
Debian-user mailinglist fairly often.

>Any
>of you out there well-versed on such matters? While I'm at it,
>is there a decent set of Debian docs around? What I've seen to
>date is rather skimpy, as in the stuff at www.debian.org. I don't
>think the organization needs to hold people's hands, but they
>really could be a little more verbose....

You don't happen to specify what info you're looking for, so I
can only give you the general hint to check out /usr/doc and
/usr/info for more info on installed packages. More general
info can be found in the doc subdirectory of the Debian
mirror of your choice.

And if you feel that the present documentation is lacking,
please feel to let the debian-doc team know where they
can improve :-)

Bye,
>Thomas
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997