tlug: Locale problem

tlug note from Totoro <riley@example.com>
I've upgraded to libc-5.4.36 (for StarOffice), and now I can't
find any way to clear up the error in perl which is:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = "",
        LANG = "us"

There are other settings that still fail the same way; I've tried
setting the ENV variable for LC_ALL and it's the same sort of error.

Where does perl set this? The man pages are pretty vague, and just
talk around the issue. I suppose it's not perl, but actually the
system itself in how it reads this. FWIW, I have RH 4.2 and perl
is 5.004. Any clues appreciated!

David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  Aomori-ken  031

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997