tlug: Introducing myself & requesting some help

tlug note from Demian Martos <demian@example.com>
Hello tlugs,

I'm new in this list, and would like to introduce myself. I also want to
beg
for some advices, and this is perhaps not the right place, but...

My name is Demian (pronounced Damian ;-), I come from Madrid (Spain)
where I study Electrical Engineering. I'm here to spend a year in Japan,
the first four months learning japanese from scratch, and the next eight
months working for Hitachi.

Although I'm not fond on computers, my friends in Madrid really are.
They are using GNU/Linux for years, and since I started learning UNIX
last year, they spoiled me to do the same.
This means that I am a true beginner, Sorry *:-(
I want to use Linux here in Japan, since I was told that there is no
problem with japanese characters and all this stuff. Therefore, I need a
lot of advices to be able to start.

I'm sure there's a lot of information in the web, but the current matter
is that I don't have an access to Internet yet. Just access to my
mailbox at pnsnet from time to time.
(If you want to contact me, use the phone from 10 to 11 in the evening,
tx a lot!)

So, first of all, I need a computer. A second hand computer would be the
best, a 486 with 16Mbytes RAM, 545Mb HD, a modem and perhaps a CD-ROM.
I'm going to Akhihabara soon...BUT...should I know something about known
Hardware incompatibilities with the debian Linux distribution (the one I
want to use) among the japanese trademarks, especially with HITACHI
computers?
Is there any Personal computer or devices you would recommend me?
Thanks!

Then i'll install GNU/Linux, have an internet connection, try to install
PPP, and start networking with you! (Let's hope you are very patient
people...:-)

Otherwise, I'm joining you on the 11th of october for the tlug meeting.

Any kind of replies, even angry ones, are welcome, via e-mail or via
phone.

See you,

Demian Martos

Demian L. Martos-Rian~o - Estudiante de Ingenieria de Telecomunicacion
Direccion: Hitachi-daiichi-yuho-ryo, 1-12-15 Sugesengoku,
                             Tamaku, Kanagawa 214, Japon
Tfnos. (Japon): 04-4946-1657  Fax: 03-3221-6226
Patron actual: San Cristobal
Lema: A caballo regalado, no le mires los dientes

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997