tlug: Umlauts & Kanji

tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>
Hi,

I ran into an interesting problem the other day while
trying to create some web pages for learning japanese.
I've been fooling around with NS Communicator on NT
and the free Cyberbit TTF from BitStream. Do check it
out, it's a neat free font apparently supporting all sorts
of character encodings. Anyways, this inspired me to
try and set up a japanese page on my test web server.

Problem #1 was how to get the server to tell the
browser that it's delivering a japanese document.
I hacked that by creating a MIME type named
text/html;charset=iso-2022-jp for the extension jhtml.
I doubt it's the way it was supposed to be done, but
at least it seemed to work. Or can anybody offer a
hint of how I can do this better with Apache? A SJIS
document which I created in NJStar displayed just
fine - which led to problem #2: how can I mix German
and Japanese, or rather Umlauts and Kana/Kanji in
the same frame? The way I understand what I read in
Lunde, it's not possible to mix those with SJIS, since
the Umlauts are not included in the character table.
How'bout Unicode? Anybody interested in more
results should I ever get them?

Thomas
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997