Re: Font Encodings - Re: tlug: Java and Japanese

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, John Little wrote:

gaijin>%
gaijin>% I'm not sure what the "8859_1" means.  Does anyone know?
gaijin>%
gaijin>
gaijin>   ISO encoding 8859_1, usually known as "Western English" or
gaijin>   "Latin-1", as opposed to 8859_2, the encoding for "European
gaijin>   English". The latter includes codes for umlaut, cedilla, acute
gaijin>   and friends. Check out the X11 fonts directory (encoding).

John,
thanks for the info.
That's weird.  I wonder why I have to I have to specify 8859_1?
I asked Tsurui-san about this and he said that he read it on the
Java mailing list in reference to the JDBC.  This is the same thing
I was reading.  There really wasn't an explanation of why it was
needed.  Tsurui-san thought it was the specification for unicode.
The mystery continues.  I'm now tested the code segment on
a Sparc running Solaris with about 20 data fields and input from
a Win '95 box.  It's still functioning both on sending e-mail and
writing to files.  I wish I knew why.  ;-)

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997