Re[2]: tlug: Help! Stupid Japanese printing question.

tlug note from Matthew C Gushee <matt@example.com>
Hello again--

First of all, thanks to Oda-san for the speedy and helpful reply to my previous
post.

Craig wrote:

> are you sure you have PostScript fonts in your printer?

Well now, *that* is a good question. Until now it's never occurred to me that
the internal fonts of a postscript printer might be anything but postscript.

>Is it one of those expensive Epson printers?

It's one of those cheap OKI Microline 400 PSII printers. Incidentally, it's
connected to my machine via the parallel port. I checked the printer manual and
it doesn't clearly state whether the fonts are PS or not; I got the exact names
of the fonts, though---they are:

      Heisei Mincho W3 (TM)      and
      Heisei Kaku Gothic W5 (TM)

Anybody know for sure whether those are PS or not? A colleague of mine thinks
they're not, but I've seen info that suggests they are . . .

>  Also, if you have MS-Windows,
 . . . .
> Mount your Windows partition under Linux.
 . . . .

Thanks. Unfortunately, I no longer have a Windows partition (needed the space
to build XEmacs w/ Mule); I think this is the first time I've really regretted
the decision to go Microsoft-free.

Oh well. I'll manage somehow. I downloaded the Wadalab fonts and am steeling
myself for the Ghostscript ordeal.

I'll be away for a week, so I'll say thanks now for any word on those fonts
(especially if you tell me they're actually PostScript & all I need to do is
tweak my /etc/printcap or something like that :=> ).

Regards,
Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997