tlug: Help! Stupid Japanese printing question.

tlug note from matt@example.com
Hi, folks--

First of all, apologies if there are multiple copies of this. I'm having
a little trouble posting.

I guess I have to ask for help with this one. What I want is pretty
simple (ha-ha): just to print plain (Japanese) text on a (Japanese)
postscript printer.

The printer, lpr, etc., are working fine: I regularly print English text
& postscript; I've also printed Japanese under M$-Windows with no
trouble. I have XEmacs w/ Mule w/ Canna  & Japanese X Windows fonts and
all that stuff; the printer has Mincho and Ryumin light as resident
fonts, so I would think that all I really need is a suitable print
filter, no?

I have installed the jbase and prutil packages of JE, so I have psconv,
nkf, pf, etc., but I can't make them do the job for me. I have
(successfully? not sure) converted a file to postscript with psconv, but
sending that to lpr just gives me the old familiar

    *()_@%^&*(%@)&*(^*()_@()@!&) . . .

Alright, yes, I've read Craig's (in general very, very helpful!)
Linux-Nihongo page where it says something about ghostscript. But I'm
not quite clear on this point: since I have Japanese printer fonts . . .
do I **really** (catch the whiny edge to my voice there?) gotta use
ghostscript? If so, could somebody explain why? If not, well . . .
dagblag it, what do I do??

Any hints most appreciated.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
matt@example.com

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997