Re: tlug: SPAM - not just us...

tlug note from Totoro <riley@example.com>
>tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
>I've been using despam.  I checked my logs and it caught 6 messages
>in the last 12 hours and put them in /dev/null.  It works with
>procmail.  What is everyone else using?  I'm collecting info
>right now on the best technical solution.

I use a very low-tech approach, and have seen the x-rated spam mail
drop to zero, and there is little other trash coming in these days.
Apparently lots of these companies are watching email addresses from
the java cookies and also usenet postings. I just put a bogus email
address in my Netscape preferences, as well as my news reader. The sig
file shows my real email, should someone want to respond to me that way.

Seems like the best way, personally, until the spammers get a better
script. YMMV.

David Riley
Normally from Hachinohe, but currently in the UW, Seattle.

BTW, if anyone knows a shop in Seattle that carries Linux stuff, I'd
sure like to know!

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997