Re: tlug: kaffe 0.9.1

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

turnbull>--------------------------------------------------------
turnbull>tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
turnbull>--------------------------------------------------------
turnbull>Hey, is Kaffe really about 10x as fast as JDK 1.1.2?

I've heard that it is signficantly faster and wanted to try it
out.  I don't know that much about JIT compilers, but I imagine
that if the same object was used repeatly, the 10X speed might
be attainable.  The problem with a JIT is the time it first
takes to compile the object.  I think that if the run time is
not that long and not that frequent, we wouldn't see that
much improvement.  Still, I would like to give it a try.

I'm also interested in giving Guavac a try since it is taking
a while to byte compile stuff.

turnbull>
turnbull>    Craig> Linux 2.0.29
turnbull>
turnbull>What!?  Not the latest kernel?  Shame on you....

Actually, do you think that the header files in the newer kernels
might compile?  I'm going to try an upgrade tonight or this weekend.

turnbull>my guess is that libc6 has changed some of the headers and/or they
turnbull>aren't compatible with the 2.0.29 headers in some way.  What often
turnbull>happens is that a slightly different #define or an absent #define
turnbull>causes a syntax error.  Does that smell like your error message?

I'm going to put the newest kernel in and give it another compile
then I'll take a look at it again.

Thanks.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997