tlug: Python woes

tlug note from Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
Hi all,

I was doing a bit of house cleaning and decided that since I had
upgraded TCL to 7.5 and TK to 4.1 I didn't need the old 7.4 and
4.0 around anymore so I deleted them. That broke Python :-(

I'm just starting out with Python (taking Steve T's advice and
looking at lots of different languages) and I don't know how to
fix this:

jim:~/devel/Python$ python
Python 1.3 (Jun 22 1996)  [GCC 2.7.0]
>>> from Tkinter import *
>>> widget = Label(None, text='Hello TLUG!')
Tcl_Init error: version mismatch: library
scripts expect Tcl version 7.5b1 or later but the loaded version
is only 7.4
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python/tkinter/Tkinter.py", line 1024, in
__init__
    Widget.__init__(self, master, 'label', cnf, kw)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python/tkinter/Tkinter.py", line 714, in
__init__
    Widget._setup(self, master, cnf)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python/tkinter/Tkinter.py", line 690, in
_setup
    _default_root = Tk()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python/tkinter/Tkinter.py", line 578, in
__init__
    self.tk = tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Tcl_AppInit failed

How do I unload 4.0 and load 4.1? Do I need to make a new
Python? I couldn't find the answer in the Programming Python
book.

I tried exporting the new TK_LIBRARY and TCL_LIBRARY paths in the
shell, but that didn't work.

Thanks for any ideas,

Jim S.

Sent by: Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
On: 20-Aug-97 at: 18:25:42 JST
http://www1.harenet.or.jp/~schweiz/
Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997