Re: tlug: kaffe 0.9.1

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Hey, is Kaffe really about 10x as fast as JDK 1.1.2?

    Craig> I'm having some problems.

Here's the way your autoconfig report probably goes:

    Craig> Linux 2.0.29

What!?  Not the latest kernel?  Shame on you....

    Craig> gcc version 2.7.2.2

I see you have gcc ... version 2.7.2.2.  Good.

    Craig> libc6 2.0.4

What's this?!  I never saw anything like this before.  All the headers
are changed and the macros are wrong....

:-)  Seriously....

    Craig> This is my error message if you're interested.

    Craig> gcc -g -O  -I. -I. -I./../../config -I../../config -I../../include
    Craig> -I./../../include -DTRANSLATOR -I./jit -DKVER=\"0.91\" -c -fPIC
    Craig> exception.c
    Craig> exception.c: In function `nullException':
    Craig> exception.c:205: parse error before `.'
    Craig> exception.c:205: parse error before `.'

If this code does compile on other machines (ie, the clean compile
machines don't have it switched off due to a different configuration),
my guess is that libc6 has changed some of the headers and/or they
aren't compatible with the 2.0.29 headers in some way.  What often
happens is that a slightly different #define or an absent #define
causes a syntax error.  Does that smell like your error message?

1. Check for conditional compile on that code.  Maybe you can
reconfigure in a way that is suboptimized for you, but compiles
cleanly.
2. Check the identifiers preceding that `.' for macros, make sure
they're defined and find out where.

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi