tlug: KPCA 8/20/97

tlug note from drg@example.com
  *** =============================================== ***
  ***  Kansai Professional Computer Association News  ***
  *** =============================================== ***

AUGUST: KPCA SUMMER GET-TOGETHER: For those of us lucky enough to be
spending this summer in Japan, what could be better than KPCA's August
party and networking event?
8/20/97, 7:00 to 9:00pm. Club KARMA's event hall, 5 minutes walk South from
Osaka JR station.

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!
  KPCA Members $FREE!
    Non-members, a mere 1000 yen!
      Bring your computing friends!

FREE FOOD AND A DRINK TICKET! - through special arrangement with Club KARMA.
Get here early, KPCA members look one bite ahead.

JULY MEETING
Stephen Chick of Apple Computer spoke to a joint July meeting of the Kansai
Professional Computing Association(KPCA) and the American Chamber of
Commerce in Japan(ACCJ) on the topic of Apple's forthcoming CROSS-PLATFORM
operating system - codenamed Rhapsody.  The talk concentrated on the
architecture of the new OS from the point of view of an application
developer, and included a preview and demonstration of cross-platform
development tools.

Rhapsody for PowerPC will have three major parts: the Core OS, the "Yellow
Box" and the "Blue Box".  The Core OS (hidden from the user) will include
the small Mach kernel and provide BSD UNIX services.  The Yellow Box will
provide the Application Programming Interface (API) for cross-platform
development, while the Blue Box will provide compatibility with existing
PowerPC and 68k applications.  Rhapsody for Intel will be the same Core OS
and and Yellow Box, and will give Intel users a new OS with a Mac look and
feel.  Two other products, Yellow Box for Mac OS and Yellow Box for
Windows, which will allow users to run Rhapsody applications without
changing their operating system, will be distributed at no cost.  Thus,
developers who base their efforts on the Yellow Box will have an existing
audience of all Windows and Mac OS users.

Mr. Chick described the Yellow Box as deriving principally from NeXT's
OpenStep architecture combined with leading Apple technologies such as
QuickTime.  The API's Foundation Kit and Application Kit, will be
accessible through NeXT's Objective-C and C++, not to mention Java. As Mr.
Chick demonstrated, the advanced visual development tools, Project Builder
and Interface Builder, will allow developers to build working applications
for multiple OS platforms with little more than a simple re-compile, an
immense productivity savings.

Mr. Chick concluded the overview with a summary of Apple's release
schedule, which promises a "Premier release" (for developers) in early
1998, followed in mid 1998 by a "Unified Release" of Rhapsody for users of
high-end PowerPCs and PowerBooks.

SPEAKERS SOUGHT! The KPCA is looking for speakers for future meetings. Come
promote your pet project/product, your career. An honorarium will be
provided.

Fax or email any/all response to:
Dennis Grass, KPCA-President
c/o K.K. World Wide Computer
Bingoya Bld 6F
1-5-12 Shibata
Kitaku, Osaka 530
FAX:    06-377-4715
Tel: 06-377-4714
RESPONSE PLEASE! FORM

__  Yes!  I plan to attend on Wednesday, August 20 (KPCA Cool Summer
Get-Together)
__  Oops, I'm busy on the 20th.  Please keep me informed of future drinking
events.
__  I can probably attend on Wednesday, Sept. 17 (Implementing Systems
using 32-bit RISC)
__  I can probably attend on Wednesday, Oct. 22 (Blue Laser Diode)

__  Yes!  I am interested in speaking at a KPCA meeting.
        My proposed topic:

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997