Re: tlug: SMTP and junk email [was: How are they doing this? ]

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Jim> On Tue, Aug 12, 1997 at 02:07:54PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> bash% telnet 127.0.0.1 25 # 25 is the SMTP TCP port
> HELO your.own.domain # some hosts gethostbyaddress, not all
> ... some protocol reply ...
> MAIL FROM: any.old.address@example.com # this may have been
>                                             # forwarded, eg from UUCP,
>                                             # so nobody checks

    Jim> Actually, some sites are checking nowadays.  Try this sending
    Jim> to gol1.gol.com for example.  It fails for at least some
    Jim> "nobody.can.check" values.  (Like my mww.dyn.ml.org machine.)

What happens if you use the result of "host 1.2.3.4"?

I checked, and see what you mean.  I'm not sure this conforms to RFC
1123 which specifically disallows refusing delivery because the HELO
address fails to verify.  Anyway, it doesn't do anything unless the
receiving host proceeds to disallow delivery based on source address,
and it can do that at the TCP level.  Most of the junk mail I see
comes from dynamic ips at respectable providers; presumably this is
going to pass the test (I have yet to come up with a foolproof regexp
that filters dynamic IP host names and only those; too risky to try).

What really needs to be done, as far as I can see, is to wait until
the "RCPT TO:" and check for several things.  Source routing of course
is to be disallowed, and only transfers from "outside" to "inside" or
anything from "inside" should be allowed.  But mere failure to verify
the HELO or MAIL FROM addresses means that lots of legitimate mail is
going to be refused, especially by these large relays and gateways
whose users could have correspondents anywhere.

Oh well

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi