RE: tlug: How to make network!

tlug note from "Francks Trane (Tokyo PO)" <Francks@example.com>

Rafael Coninck Teigao <crusher@example.com> wrote:

>Hi, I'm using Linux Red Hat and I'd like to know how to make network
>ith my notebook (by E-LAN 2000 alike card) using the Linux (of course)
>nd WIN For WorkGroups....Can I do that?

Sure. I'd recommend TCP/IP for simple networking. If you
want to have shared directories, then Samba would likely
be the best way to go.

I have a small network at home. The Linux box, which is my
primary workstation, acts as an Internet gateway for the other
machines on the network (both Windows 95 clients). I don't
require file or print sharing among the systems, so I've gone
with a very simple TCP/IP setup.

Actually, I have enabled NetBEUI on the two Win 95 systems,
and I bound the file and print sharing only to that protocol.
This makes it a snap for the Win95 systems (one being a
notebook) to exchange files and for the Presario to act as
a quick print server. I did not bind the MS client services to
the TCP/IP, however, as that causes diald to connect to my
ISP every time one of the Win 95 clients broadcasts....

Anyway....

Since the Linux box is not acting as a file server, no Samba.
When I do need to exchange files, a quick FTP session
does what I need it to.

Hope this augments Craig's comments appropriately.

trane