Re: tlug: Window Maker

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Alan B. Stone wrote:

stoneab>2.  Slightly different question, but is there a way to change the folder
stoneab>icon used by xfm?  I've changed the other icons, but haven't been able
stoneab>to figure out how to change the folder default icon.

The easy way is to get the Window Maker binary package of apps.
I can't remember where I got it from, so I uploaded it to my
public directory.  I'll keep it available for a few days.

   http://www.twics.com/~craig/tmp/

Then hold down the shift key in Netscape and click on

  WmakerPak.tar.gz

A couple of notes.  The icons in xfm look cool.  They look like
the NeXt icons.  However, filerunner is probably a better tool.
I don't use xfm that much.  You'll probably have to tweak the
file identifiers even more.  After using window maker for a few
weeks, I switched back to AfterStep as my main "genki hade"
desktop.  The menus of Window Maker are better than AfterStep.
However, it is hard to dock things in the current version of
Window Maker.  After I saw KDE, I decided to wait for KDE
to stabilize and use that.  I'm using 9wm as my "majime jimi"
desktop, kind of the zen approach.

One problem with Window Maker is that the documentation is a bit
thin.  Since I've never used NeXt systems for any length of time,
the learning curve was too steep for me to ponder it much
longer.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096