Re: tlug: Meeting Saturday August 2

tlug note from Steve Dunham <dunham@example.com>
Craig Oda wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> andy>Otemachi. As for themes. CDE sounds interesting. I use it under
> andy>Solaris 2.5.1 and HP-UX, but don't know too much about it to be
> andy>honest...

> Interesting.  I'm using Solaris and HP-UX as well.  I use CDE on
> both of them.  I know almost nothing about CDE though.  There is
> a usenet group, comp.unix.cde (I think).  I posted once when
> I tried to get dtterm on Solaris to display kanji.  I don't have
> the Japanese version of Solaris.  I eventually gave up and installed
> kterm from source.

Yeah, they're a bunch of fascists... Apparently, Sun doesn't ship the
japanese locale with normal Solaris (although they apparently ship
chinese, korean, etc.)

> If we discuss CDE, there are probably two parts to chat about, one
> is the perspective of a user and the other is a perspective of
> a developer.  From a user's perspective it might be kind of
> like a comparison between window managers.  It is pretty good
> as a window manager.  One thing that I like on AfterStep is the
> ability to switch virtual consoles with CTRL-arrow.  On CDE,
> I have to do a Alt-Tab to bring up the CDE bar, then use
> the arrow keys to get to the right virtual window.  CDE does
> have a few interesting things like the calculator and the calendar.
> I don't really know how to use the calculator, so if someone
> could show me how to use it, I would be really interested.  The
> reverse polish HP15C calculator on HPUX was pretty awesome.

I was never really impressed with CDE.  I don't like the window manager
(I currently use WindowMaker, a nice alternative to afterstep), I prefer
other mail readers, the file manager leaves a bit to be desired, etc.

> I don't have the Linux version of CDE, but I've often thought
> about it so that I can keep everything in sync.  The CDE
> development environment looks pretty muzukashii.  For me
> the Java AWT is good enough.

> One thing that I'm really interested in is how CDE sets the
> Locale and what is needed to make Japanese start to happen.

You need japanese locale support for the C library.  (In /usr/lib/locale
and /usr/openwin/lib/locale.)  Sun doesn't ship it with non-japanese
Solaris.

Steve
dunham@example.com