Re: tlug: Meeting Saturday August 2

tlug note from "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com>
>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Oda <craig@example.com> writes:

    andy> dtterm and then start a new one. I have Japanese solaris
    andy> installed,
    Craig>
    Craig> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    andy> but I always start in English, because netscape gets very
    andy> confused about imput methods or some such thing if I have my
    andy> session in Japanese. I have not tried it in a long time, so
    andy> I don't remember the

    Craig> Ahh yes, this is the catch.  I don't have Japanese Solaris.
    Craig> However, since the Japanese fonts are there, my assumption
    Craig> is that there is a way to make this happen by setting the
    Craig> Locale.  A quick look at my /usr/dt/app-defaults shows that
    Craig> there is a C directory with the app-defaults for stuff like
    Craig> Dtterm Dtwm Dtmail and Dtpad.

    Craig> I think that on Japanese Solaris you might have something
    Craig> like ja_JP.ujis in a parallel branch to the C directory?  I
    Craig> think that if I see the Linux CDE running with Japanese,
    Craig> then I can probably get English CDE for Solaris happening
    Craig> with Japanese.  There is probably only one version of CDE
    Craig> for Linux, the English one????

Yes, there is a ja tree in /dt/app-defaults/ja. My fonts look the same
though. In DTterm I have:

! The following resource specifies the fonts that can be chosen from
the
! font size pulldown/popup menu:
*userFontList: \
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-xxs*-*-*-*-*-m-*:\n\
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-xs*-*-*-*-*-m-*:\n\
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-m-*:\n\
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-m*-*-*-*-*-m-*:\n\
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-l*-*-*-*-*-m-*:\n\
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-xl*-*-*-*-*-m-*:\n\
-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-xxl*-*-*-*-*-m-*:

I'm not sure how the Japanese fonts are getting setup. The only place
I see Japanese fonts is in Dt:

Dt:*.6.*.medium.*.ja_JP.EUC-JP: -dt-gothic-medium-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*:
Dt:*.8.*.medium.*.ja_JP.EUC-JP: -dt-gothic-medium-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*:

    Craig> Alternately, the Japanese Solaris app-defaults might work
    Craig> with Linux CDE if the fonts were set properly.  This is
    Craig> what the default faults are set to:

Sounds right, but where are these dissy things set? It must be through
locales somehow, as setting LANG changes the fonts. I just xhosted a
dtterm to my linix box with LANG=ja and it tried to display in
Japanese, but the fonts come up mojibake.

I then tried without LANG. The initial display was fine, but when I
try to change the font, I get:

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface
user-medium-r-normal-l*-*-*-*-*-m-*" to type FontSet

Setting LANG=ja again, fire up a dtterm, and change the font. This
time the font has a most curious name: Segmentation fault

So much for that idea...

Andy