Re: tlug: Linux on old Japanese-made PCs

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, David J Iannucci wrote:

> A while back I salvaged an EPSON PC-486GR from the
> trash at my company, along with several peripherals,
> and I'd like to use a RedHat 4.1 CDROM that I've got to
> install Linux.  The OS claims to be Microsoft MS-DOS
> version 5.0, although it's a Japanese version (?)

  I could be wrong, but I think that's probably an NEC
PC-9801 clone.  Yes, it runs MS-DOG - the NEC PC-9081
version.  I think you'll find you face all the same
problems getting Linux running on this that Daniel Griffith
will with his 9801.

  Just for the record, the best computer I've seen in the
local "gomi" is the 9801-RX I saw last week, complete with
hard disk, printer and all.  That's a 386 SX if I remember
correctly.  Your company obviously produces a better class
of trash.

  Is this really the best we can do with these old machines?

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka