tlug: Linux on old Japanese-made PCs

tlug note from David J Iannucci <dji@example.com>
Thanks to Daniel Griffith for introducing the topic of
bringing up Linux on old, more-or-less incompatible
Japanese-made PCs... it's made it easier for me to put
in my own newbie-kusai question :^)

A while back I salvaged an EPSON PC-486GR from the
trash at my company, along with several peripherals,
and I'd like to use a RedHat 4.1 CDROM that I've got to
install Linux.  The OS claims to be Microsoft MS-DOS
version 5.0, although it's a Japanese version (?)
One of the periphs I picked up is a non-descript SCSI
3x CDROM drive.

I haven't got clue #1 about how to get DOS to recognize
and read off the CDROM (nor do I know whether the drive
even works properly, but first things first :^)  So this
is really a DOS question.  I figure it's something to do
with CONFIG.SYS, but that's about the extent of my
knowledge of MS-DOS :^}

I wonder if someone can't set me on the right path
with this.  What I'm really hoping is that I won't be
told that I need to find a driver specific to that
device, because I'm pretty sure I don't already have
it :^(

Hints onegai shimasu!

Dave Iannucci
dji@example.com