Re: tlug: Linux on a PC98

tlug note from gaijin@example.com (John Little)
%
%   Great hardware.  I miss the old NEC reliability and great (mostly
% free) service.  Trouble is, they were Intel boxes running MS-DOG
% (after it edged out CP/M-86 in 1983) and later Whinedoze (I still have
% 1.0 for NEC - what a joke!).  But they were never IBM-compatible.
% They were a different (superior) architecture from the beginning
% (e.g. 640x400 graphics standard from the first machine).
%

  I d-e-t-e-s-t those damn NECs! We have a new 9821 machine which my
  son wanted (peer-compatability pressure :-)). I tried for months to
  get that machine to talk on our HAN, use SCSI disks and communicate
  via the built-in modem; not to mention load Linux, of course.

  I finally managed to get it to boot the `special' PC98 version of
  FreeBSD, but I've never seen an equivalent PC98 Linux. The ethernet
  interface and SCSI disks worked under FreeBSD and, with advice from
  Tim and a couple of other folks, I was eventually able to get it onto
  the HAN under W95J, too. I've given up completely on the built-in
  modem. :-(

  Porting Linux to the 98? Include me out!

			-John-