LaTeX vs sgml [was Re: tlug: What's wrong with Microsoft? ]

tlug note from craig@example.com
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: What's wrong with Microsoft?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:34:46 +0900

> I'm moving to Linuxdoc-SGML, especially for class notes which get
> formatted at least three ways (notes, OHP/handout, WWW).  But that
> doesn't have the letter and fax formats and so on yet.  Again, all of
> it is registered in RCS, and I do use the diffs.

I've been switching between LaTeX, an HTML editor like
Netscape, and Linuxdoc-SGML for about a year.  Also, my reasons
are the same.  A document written in sgml or html converts
easily into plain text.  I've never found anything that could
do this for LaTeX.  I use untex for drafts, but the output of
untex is not something that I want to give to people.

html2latex breaks the document up into too many sections.
I actually want the entire document in a single html page.
I can do this with Jim Tittsler's Perl script for linuxdoc-sgml.

Some of the things I don't like about linuxdoc-sgml: I make heavy
use of \begin{tabular} and \includegraphics in LaTeX.  I also
like to change fonts more and throw in a \hrule from time to time.
The \footnote feature of LaTeX is nice.

I've heard that linuxdoc-sgml is going to support imbedded images
soon.  I think that qwertz can do this now.  I vaguely remember reading
that something called sgmltools was going to replace linuxdoc.
I tried to look for the reference in Linux Gazette, where I think
I ready it, but I could not find the reference again.

I've recently gravitated back to LaTeX and have been using
GhostScript to convert the documents into PDF format when I
want to e-mail someone a copy of the file.

-----

Re: Servlets

I've recently been writing some cgi programs in Java.  I did
a search for a package that would allow me to have the same
functionality as Perl's CGI lib.  I found something, but I also
found repeated references to Java servlets.  I downloaded the
Java servlet development kit from www.javasoft.com and it
appears that servlets are
small extensions to a HTTP server that function like CGI programs.
This seems interesting, but the documentation with it is a bit
over my head.  Has anyone used a servlet before?  From what I
can understand, it seems like something I want to use.